Welcome to our Home Economics page
Above are links to Schoology & Ms Barry's webpage
- If you need to contact your Home Economics teacher for any reason, our email addresses are:
- Home Economics provides students with knowledge, understanding, skills and attitudes necessary for taking care of yourself, others, your home and your environment. As it is a very practical subject, you carry out a lot of practical activities in school and at home.
Topics covered in Home Economics?
- Health & Social Studies - how to take care of your body
- Food Studies - how food nourishes your body, how to choose it, how to store it, how to prepare and cook it
- Consumer Studies - how to spend money wisely, how to save it, and how you are protected as a consumer
- Home Management - design in the home, safety and hygiene, services to the home, the environment
- Craftwork & Textiles - learn to hand sew and use a sewing machine & make a textile based project
Junior Certificate Exam - Breakdown of Marks
- Written Paper 50%
- Cookery Practical 35%
- Craft/Research Project 15%
For more information on Junior Cycle Home Economics, click here...
- The Senior Cycle syllabus is based on a core of three areas of study that is studied by all students and one elective area.
- Food studies 45%
- Resource management and consumer studies 25%
- Social studies 10%
The elective allows students the opportunity to undertake a more detailed study of one area of the core. This is worth 20% of the written paper.
There are three electives, one of these must be chosen:1. Home design and management2. Textiles, fashion and design3. Social studies
- The Coursework Journal
- The great thing about Home Economics for the Leaving Cert is that 20% of the grade is based on a course work journal which is completed before the written paper.
- The coursework journal is a written account of the cookery practicals undertaken in class. There is no cookery exam as there is for the Junior Cert.